Thursday, September 9, 2021

A Most Malicious Murder


What is Edgar Allan Poe had not died mysteriously, but overcome his demons and married his childhood sweetheart? As a life long Poe fan, when I read the description for this one, I knew I had to read it.

I am intrigued by alternate history timeline stories and this one was fantastic. In this story, Edgar Allan Poe did not die in 1849 of mysterious circumstances. Instead, he married Elmira and set out on a book tour through England, performing readings of his most famous work. One night he has too much to drink and the next morning after a chambermaid is found dead, he is a suspect. Drawing on his own character creation, Inspector Dupin, can he unravel the clues in time to save not only his reputation but the life of an innocent man?

The story is unique, ingenious and well written. With charming characters, a wonderful setting and an ending that is worthy of Dupin himself, this story is sure to hold your attention and keep you guessing until the very end. I felt the pacing was nice and I loved the back and forth between what Poe was experiencing and what the killer was experiencing. I look forward to more from this author.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Red Hot Murder-Charlie Kingsley Mystery #6

Another extraordinary book from Michele PW! If I could give this 10 stars I would. I absolutely love the Charlie Kingsley series. The fictio...