Thursday, October 14, 2021

Garden of Sins


When I chose this book I did not realize that it was part of a series, let alone book #6. However, despite not having read 1-5, I still thoroughly enjoyed this story. It was thrilling, sad and had me turning pages almost faster than I could read. 

The story centers around Sarah and Thomas Barrett. She a famous crime scene photographer and he a police officer. Apparently they had a hand in stopping Jack the Ripper, a story I must now read, prompting me to look for books 1-5. This time though Sarah is dealing with the impending trial of her estranged father, who is looking at hanging for the death of a young girl 24 years earlier. She has doubts on his innocence but is still open to finding out the truth. At the same time this is going on, Sarah and Barrett (what she calls him) are drawn into a murder involving a circus, royalty and a massive cover-up of heinous crimes. The events taking place at Cremorne Gardens, a place Sarah remembers her father taking her before he went on the run. 

Set in the Victorian Era, Sarah is unlike the other women of her time. She has a job most people consider to be unconventional and even unsavory, she's independent and sticks her nose in where it isn't welcome (from what I could tell from this book) I felt like the story for the most part fits the time period and I like the use of real places. I felt the pacing was good and the climax at the end was perfect, and a tad frustrating. But all in all, I really enjoyed the story and I am very much looking forward to picking up books 1-5 so that I can get to know these characters better! I received this book free from NetGalley for an honest review.

1 comment:

Red Hot Murder-Charlie Kingsley Mystery #6

Another extraordinary book from Michele PW! If I could give this 10 stars I would. I absolutely love the Charlie Kingsley series. The fictio...