Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Whispering Bones

SPOILER ALERT
I previously read the authors second book, They Only Come at Night and really enjoyed it so I figured Id check out this book and was not disappointed. Again, I am drawn to serial killer stories, whether real or fictional and this one was a great one!

Bob Standish is detective in Wilmington, North Carolina. He has a special gift that allow him to see the future or events that have just occurred.  There is a serial killer running amok and he is in charge of catching him. Each murder, brutal and precise. The killer methodically taking bones from the victims, victims he somehow knows are going to die and he is therefore saving them from a long drawn out, agonizing death. By taking their lives early, he's saving them, from cancers, from paralyzation, etc. Sort of a sick angel of mercy. 

Bob is a self proclaimed loner. Someone who decided long ago that he needs no one. That is until he meets Veronica, the only survivor of the killer. A killer who is seeking her to fulfill some evil, sick final plan that will give him everything he's ever wanted. Even though she is a witness, he is drawn to her, in a way he hasn't been in a very long time. Not just a physical attraction, but something deeper, in his soul. As the killing intensifies, Bob becomes a suspect. With his gift he is able to see things, to know things about the case only the killer would know and his co-workers think that's just a little too convenient. Can Bob find the killer, rescue the girl and clear his name before he himself is killed?

All I can really say about this story is, wow! I was hooked from the first chapter and couldn't stop. I would have sat here and read it all in one day if I didn't have to be a responsible adult. A well written suspense filled thriller, this story will keep you on the edge of your seat wondering what will happen next. Weaved within the story is a spiritual battle that I really enjoyed. I literally had no idea who the killer was and was surprised by the reveal! This is a must read along with his other book They Only Come at Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Red Hot Murder-Charlie Kingsley Mystery #6

Another extraordinary book from Michele PW! If I could give this 10 stars I would. I absolutely love the Charlie Kingsley series. The fictio...