Tuesday, November 29, 2022

The Strange Nighttime Journey of Father Marlowe

The author reached out to me to read and review this book. The synopsis definitely intrigued me and I'm so glad that I accepted. A harrowing story of a man in a crisis of faith and how he regained it.

Father Stephen Marlowe is a priest at St. Francis of Assisi Parish, and he is currently facing a crisis of faith. So much so that he is considering leaving the church. After the suicide of his brother, also a priest, he's still drowning in his grief. He decides to go see his monsignor, Monsignor Michael Smolenski. Believing he is no longer qualified to wear the cloth, Monsignor Smolenski suggests that he go see another priest, Father Andrew Eagan. Father Egan is touted as "a miracle worker when it comes to helping struggling priests get back on track".

Soon after meeting Father Egan, Marlowe set on a quest. After falling in the Well of Lost Souls he is met by a creature named Garrok. A sort of fairy across the Great Desolate Sea. He quickly discovers he's in a sort of purgatory on a mission to rescue his brother's soul. The quest is fraught with monsters and demons and delusions of his past. Hes trying to get to a place that "The Beast" lives, "A'ch'Ba'Hu: The Black Fortress that Sees". There is much pain, sorrow, self-reflection and terror on his journey to the black fortress. Once there can Marlowe save his brothers soul, or will he be trapped there with him?

I honestly wasn't sure what to expect when I began this story. From the title and cover photo, I thought it might be somewhat of a straightforward horror story. It was so much more. Father Marlowe is a likeable character and I love the journey he is on. As a Christian myself, I think at one point or another, I have questioned my faith. Thankfully I had a strong guide along my journey, and it deepened my faith and my resolve that what I believe is true. I can tell the author did a great deal of research especially into the workings of the Catholic church. The story moves along well. It's not broken down into chapters, but instead into three parts with an epilogue. I really enjoyed the ending of the story and I have high hopes that we will see Father Marlowe again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Red Hot Murder-Charlie Kingsley Mystery #6

Another extraordinary book from Michele PW! If I could give this 10 stars I would. I absolutely love the Charlie Kingsley series. The fictio...