Sunday, December 4, 2022

The Whispering Dead-Gravekeeper #1

Well, Darcy Coates has done it again. There has not been one book by her that I have disliked. Although I have read several of her books, I had not heard of this series. I happened to be approved for the latest installment of this book, not realizing it was part of a series. I figured I should read the first two and was happy to see this was on Kindle Unlimited. 

I really enjoyed this story. Kiera (last name unknown) wakes up in the woods with a very nasty bump on her head and quickly discovers she's being chased by someone. While running through the woods she manages to escape whoever is chasing her when she stumbles upon a parsonage with a priest inside who agrees to hide her. 

The priest, Adage, starts to ask Kiera questions but promptly discovers that she has a bit of amnesia. She does not know her last name, where is she from or why someone might be chasing her. He decided to put her up in the guest cottage on the property until she figures out what's going on. The parsonage and cemetery attached to it are in a tiny town called Blighty. 

One night while she's alone in the cabin, she sees what she thinks is an apparition. She learns that while she may not know who she is, she has the gift of second sight and uses it to talk to the ghost, a woman named Emma. The town harbors a dark secret in regard to what happened to Emma and Kiera believes she needs to help her to move on. 

Kiera meets the grocery store owner, Zoe and a local doctor intern, Mason, and they end up helping her to discover what might have happened to Emma. Kiera is happy to stay in Blighty in the cottage and help the spirits move on. 

I love a good mystery/ghost story. Kiera is an interesting character and I'm very interested in finding out her backstory, especially considering at one point she shows having some sort of possible military training. Zoe is a fun character too with her theories and antics. And Mason could be a possible love interest for Kiera. Considering this is the first book in the series, not a lot of loose ends in regard to Keira are resolved but it definitely makes me look forward to the next two books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Red Hot Murder-Charlie Kingsley Mystery #6

Another extraordinary book from Michele PW! If I could give this 10 stars I would. I absolutely love the Charlie Kingsley series. The fictio...