Sunday, February 12, 2023

Manxiety-A Collection of Disturning Stories

I love a collection of short stories and I thoroughly enjoyed this one. This anthology is unique and different in the respect that the author used his real-life events, nightmares and dark memoirs (his words) to write these stories. He states in the opening that he wanted the stories to evoke emotions and I can definitely attest to that. There were a few stories that I was definitely on edge, and I was teary eyed in a few. At the end of the book, he gives author notes where he explains each story, where it came from and what he was going through during that time. I really liked this feature, and it gave each story a more personal feel. 

Although I really liked each story and there isn't a bad one in the bunch. Here is a list of the ones that are my favorites.

*The Boy In The Center of the Road- As a mom this story really made me anxious. But it's a great story, nonetheless.

*Recalculating- I loved this one, felt very science fictiony but glad the guy got it in the end.

*The Overbrook- I love a good ghost story, especially in a place that is real, and I can google, lol.

*Devlins Manse- Again, I love a good ghost story and in particular a period piece. But the story behind how it came about was equally interesting.

*The Dead Girl- I do not personally have any experience with addiction in this sense but I really felt this story.

*Witness- This story had me on the edge of my seat and I was certain who the killer was and then was wrong, but I really enjoyed this story.

*The Last Waltz- A fantastic story of survival. 

Overall, this is an incredible collection of personal stories that draw the reader in and put them into his world. Many of the emotions he wanted to extract came out while I was reading it. I highly recommend this book if you are also a fan of short stories. Thank you to the author for sending me a review copy to read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Red Hot Murder-Charlie Kingsley Mystery #6

Another extraordinary book from Michele PW! If I could give this 10 stars I would. I absolutely love the Charlie Kingsley series. The fictio...