Saturday, August 21, 2021

Behind the Veil


I received an advanced copy free from Booksirens for an honest review.

Behind the veil.....what lies beyond death?

I love the era of the early 1900's . So when I read the description on this one I knew I had to give it  a whirl.

Set in 1920's Los Angeles, a young woman by the name of Letitia Hawking has come over from England hoping to escape her past. She is a medium who offers closure to those who have lost loved ones. A man, Alasdair Driscoll, comes to see her seeking help with his niece who has been overtaken by a malicious phantom. At first, Letitia says no, knowing that she could be overtaken by the spirit, however, she comes to realize she is her only hope. 

Around this story, is a secondary story. Young girls have gone missing, several over the last two years but two have gone missing within months of each other, and now Alasdair's niece is one of them. She is tasked with discovering if one of them is still alive and when she finally sees what is at the core of this horror it may be too late. Can she find the entity doing such vile things to young girls and save Alasdair's niece before its too late?

This story.....wow. I really enjoyed the story. Such intricacy with the characters, the descriptions of, not only the settings but what was happening "behind the veil." Letitia herself is a complex person with flaws and insecurities, about her past and her abilities. Alasdair starts out a rude and seemingly demanding man, yet over the chapters turns out to be more than that. 

The ending is just as I wanted it to be. I wont give too much away but I will say, I love a happy ending.  This is labeled as a horror story and in such, there are horrors here. But more of the real kinds of horrors. Although there are not graphic descriptions of the horrors, the suggestions (rape, suicide, possession) are there. The book does come with a warning so those who are more sensitive to such topics, should avoid reading this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Red Hot Murder-Charlie Kingsley Mystery #6

Another extraordinary book from Michele PW! If I could give this 10 stars I would. I absolutely love the Charlie Kingsley series. The fictio...