Wednesday, August 18, 2021

The Dead Zone


This is my first time reading this book. I have been a King fan for as long as I can remember. I mostly have seen the movies or tv shows of his more popular books. Once I saw something, Id pick up the book, other times it was the other way around.

I remember watching The Dead Zone tv show with Anthony Michael Hall so while reading this, his is the face that I imagined. I like the tv show, although I never watched it all the way through. 

What can I say about this book that hasn't already been said? Its been around a long time and most people who are King fans know the premise. John Smith, Johnny, is an average man, who is in a terrible car accident, in which he loses 4 years of his life while in a coma. The girl he is love with before the accident is now married to someone else and hes pretty much got nothing else. He starts having visions when he touches someone or something and he at times is able to help some people with his "gift."

There were parts of the book I felt that were a bit dry. The big bad guy in the story is a con man turned politician (gee big surprise there), named Greg Stillson. Johnny has visions of him doing some really bad things, bad enough that Johnny makes the ultimate sacrifice to change the future. If I'm being honest, I much rather preferred the story of the serial killer that was hunting women and killing them. I get enough of B.S. politics in my every day life. 

So, I give it 4 stars because it was harder to get through than I anticipated. As a King fan, I find that there are some of his stories that I just cannot get through, just because I'm a fan, doesn't mean I have to love everything, does it? I did enjoy the last little bit "Notes from the Dead Zone", it kind of wrapped things up nicely. All in all, a good read, but most likely one I'll only read once.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Red Hot Murder-Charlie Kingsley Mystery #6

Another extraordinary book from Michele PW! If I could give this 10 stars I would. I absolutely love the Charlie Kingsley series. The fictio...