Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Hounds of Autumn


I recently subscribed to a new site where I could get free e-books to read and review. This book peaked my interest because it reminded me of The Hound of the Baskervilles, my favorite Sherlock Holmes story. ( I am reviewing this book free of charge for an honest review.)

Chloe and Ambrose Sullivan are an unusual couple for the 1890's, with 24 years between them. Chloe is a scientist, she builds and invents mechanicals, her mechanical cat being her favorite creation. Ambrose is a naturalist and is looking forward to staying with his estranged family while he researches his latest book. They take an airship to Dartmoor and are immediately confronted with the death of a local resident, Camille, with whom Chloe had been in contact with via letters as she is also a mechanical inventor. Chloe is thrown into a murder mystery and is unaware of how deeply this tragedy will affect her.

A woman who is does not subscribe to the social norms for a woman of the time. A husband who allows her to be herself and a family that has deep, dark secrets. This is the first steampunk book that I have read. I have to say I really enjoyed it. The mystery part of the story was perfect. It had twists and turns and kept me guessing until the very end. It wrapped up quite nicely and even had a happy ending with the possibility for more stories. I very much look forward to more from this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Red Hot Murder-Charlie Kingsley Mystery #6

Another extraordinary book from Michele PW! If I could give this 10 stars I would. I absolutely love the Charlie Kingsley series. The fictio...