Monday, August 9, 2021

The Curse of Morton Abbey


I have to admit I do not normally read Gothic romance books. While I do enjoy the Gothic time period, it has not infiltrated my reading as much. However, I do love mysteries. I think besides true crime, mysteries are my favorite. 

Vaughn Springthorpe is an average woman who was trained by her father in the duties of a solicitor (lawyer). She is hired by a man who owns Morton Abbey sight unseen. He does not know she is a woman until she arrives. At first, things seem relatively normal. Then she starts to hear strange things, a gun going off, the crying of a child even though there are no children there and footsteps outside her door in the middle of the night. 

As the mystery unfolds, we discover old secrets and new ones that threaten to ruin the lives of her and those within the abbey. There are so many twists and turns not to mention characters who are not who they say they are. I could not stop reading and could not wait to find out all the secrets enveloped in this story. 

One thing I really liked about it, is that it is rooted in some fact. One of the characters, although brief, Eliza Orme, was the first woman in Britain to obtain a law degree in 1888. A great mystery with a little but of romance thrown in. I'm a sucker for a happy ending and this story did not disappoint. This is the first book I have read by this author but I will definitely be checking out more from her. This book will available October 26, 2021.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Red Hot Murder-Charlie Kingsley Mystery #6

Another extraordinary book from Michele PW! If I could give this 10 stars I would. I absolutely love the Charlie Kingsley series. The fictio...