Saturday, September 18, 2021

A Killer Cupcake: A Beachfront Bakery Cozy Mystery-Book 1


I have come to discover that I have a soft spot for the cozy mystery genre. They are short little stories that usually take place in a small, quaint town. 

Allison Sweet is a working at a fancy restaurant making crème brulées, working for a demanding boss when she has a sort of breakdown and is fired from her job. She returns home to her boyfriend who informs her he's breaking up with her and moving to another state. Allison meets up with her brother in the seaside town of Willow Bay, a cute town with an amazing boardwalk full of little shops and restaurants. Amongst them is an empty store front and on a whim she decides to follow her dream and open up her own bakery. 

Unfortunately, things don't start off well and Allison is starting to realize that maybe she's made a mistake. Incident after incident had her rethinking her decision to uproot her life and move to another city. All of this and then she is accosted by a local man, Preston Lockley, who tells her that she stole the shop from him and he would have his vengeance. The next morning, Preston is found washed up on the beach, murdered. The police suspect Allison as she is seen on the pier around the time that he went missing. Now she is set on not only clearing her name but also in trying to find out just who had it out for Preston. 

I really enjoyed this book. It was a very quick read. I love the small town, amateur detective stories. They remind me a lot of the stories from Midsomer Murders. I felt the characters were well thought out and left a lot to be discovered as the series goes on. I would definitely recommend this series and will be looking forward to reading more from this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Red Hot Murder-Charlie Kingsley Mystery #6

Another extraordinary book from Michele PW! If I could give this 10 stars I would. I absolutely love the Charlie Kingsley series. The fictio...