Saturday, October 2, 2021

The Fall of the House of Thomas Weir


This book was not at all what I thought it was going to be. To me, this book was more Lovecraftian than I prefer. 

The story is set in the 1770's in Edinburgh. Focusing on two men, Doctor Samuel Johnson and his lawyer friend, James Boswell. Johnson has come to visit his dear friend after hearing reports of ghouls and ghosts haunting the are of Old Town. Johnson and Boswell team up to help some local noblemen with some burglaries as well and are thrust into more than they bargained for when they discover the supernatural stories are in fact true. The tunnels underneath "new" Old Town hide a hideous sect of creatures that are set on destroying the city and eventually taking over the world.

While I enjoyed parts of the story like the setting descriptions and even the characters of Johnson and Boswell the story just fell flat for me. They story felt all over the place and had some nods to some of todays "conspiracy" type stories. Statements like "fear makes the blood so much richer" (adrenochrome) and "abolishing princes and nations in favor of a one world order". Both of these things along with the talk of lizard like people was very much like what is talked of today amongst those who believe such things. 

All in all I think it had the makings of an interesting story but it just wasn't for me. If you like Lovecraft type stories then this is probably a book you will enjoy. 

1 comment:

  1. The title intrigues me but not having read any Lovecraft books I am not sure this one would suit me.

    ReplyDelete

Red Hot Murder-Charlie Kingsley Mystery #6

Another extraordinary book from Michele PW! If I could give this 10 stars I would. I absolutely love the Charlie Kingsley series. The fictio...