Thursday, January 6, 2022

Flowers in the Attic- V.C. Andrews


I had heard of this book before reading it and even seen the movie. I remembered bits and pieces. When I saw a group read along on Instagram, I figured I'd join in seeing as I had never read the book.

Since I already knew the premise, I was somewhat prepared. But the book is so much more than the movie. As a mother, this book is somewhat hard to read. I can put aside my feelings for the most part in regard to what's happening to the kids because I am aware that this is fiction. But this mother, oh she makes me so mad. There is nothing, not anything, not any amount of money in the world that would make me do to my kids what she does to hers. I would rather live in my car and eat as little as possible to get back on my feet to provide for my kids. I do not understand the mother's behavior in this book and I have so many questions as to what ultimately led to her allowing her children to be locked up and abused. 

The Dollanganger family seems idyllic and very happy on the outside. Two affectionate parents, 4 perfect children, Chris, Cathy, Cory and Carrie (twins). Their whole world is shattered when the father, Christopher is killed in a car accident. The mother, Corrine, starts reaching out to see if she can get some assistance. After her husband's death, she realizes she can no longer maintain their level of comfort. She has no job and no skills. So, when she hears back from her parents, she is elated and packs up the kids to make the long journey to her their home. Her parents' home is massive as they are extremely wealthy. The kids are just hearing about this, having had no contact or knowledge of their grandparents. Their mother informs them that the reason behind this is her father, their grandfather, cut her out of the will and banished her from his home when she married their father, her half-uncle. Because of this, when they arrive at the grandparents' house, they are to be hidden. Upstairs in the attic, away from everyone. No contact with anyone but her and their grandmother. 

She tells them that it will only be a short time and they can come down. Her father is very sick and should die any day now and she has to get back into his good graces so he will add her to the will and then they can all be one big happy, very rich family. Unfortunately, things go from okay, to awful, to atrocious. The grandmother is extremely strict. Makes rules even an adult would have a hard time following. The mother is in and out on a semi regular basis but as the years, (yes, the years) go by, her visits are less and less. 

During this time, Chris and Cathy are surrogate parents to the twins and eventually, the twins do not even recognize their mother as their mother anymore. As the book comes to a climax, Chris and Cathy come up with a plan to get out of this house, at any cost. The horrors they have experiences pale in comparison to what is really going on. 

This book put me through so many emotions, sadness, anger, hope, and relief. Although this story is fiction, you can't help but wonder, if this has happened in some way to some kids out there. Graphic and detailed descriptions will leave you feeling a broad range of emotions yet will leave you wanting more from the story. Once the kids escape, what will become of them? Can they survive out on their own and what will become of the mother they once loved so dear? 

I gave this book 5 stars because I was captivated by the characters. The ultra-strict, drunk with power grandmother, the greedy, self-centered mother, and the kids, Chris: the intelligent and talented artist, Cathy: the ballerina, flowering into a woman while kept in a prison, and the twins, Cory: the musically talented boy twin and Carrie: the imaginative, caring twin. Even with all the horror, this is a great story and worth a read. I am definitely looking forward to the next book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Red Hot Murder-Charlie Kingsley Mystery #6

Another extraordinary book from Michele PW! If I could give this 10 stars I would. I absolutely love the Charlie Kingsley series. The fictio...