Tuesday, January 11, 2022

The Midnight Killing-Sharon Dempsey


I went into this book not knowing that it was a sequel of sorts, however, I did enjoy this story and I will be checking out the first book, Who Took Eden Mulligan.

The story starts out with the discovery James McCallum, found hanging from a tree at his former school. The main characters of the story are DI Danny Stowe and a forensic psychologist, Rose Lainey. At first the death looks like a standard suicide but after the autopsy is revealed, something more sinister has occurred to James and it's up to Stowe and Lainey to find out how and why he was murdered.  As the case heats up, computer techs discover that James had encrypted files that detailed the mysterious disappearance of an 8-year-old little girl, Maeve Lunn, from a town called Mistle, 20 years before. She went to get candy one day on her bike and never returned. Turns out James and three friends of his just happened to be visiting Mistle the same weekend that she went missing. What is the connection to James and his friends, and does it have anything to do with his murder? The age old saying that secrets don't stay hidden is all too true in this story. 

I really enjoyed this story. I was intrigued from the very beginning and stayed hooked all the way through. I like the characters and felt they were well established especially given that this is a continuation from the book before. I will definitely be looking for more from this author,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Red Hot Murder-Charlie Kingsley Mystery #6

Another extraordinary book from Michele PW! If I could give this 10 stars I would. I absolutely love the Charlie Kingsley series. The fictio...