Monday, September 19, 2022

Tales From The Gas Station-Volume One

"Working at a dead-end retail job in the middle of nowhere can be hard. The long hours. The helpless customers. The enormous eldritch horror living deep below the building.........."


I picked up this book at a thrift store one day on a whim, just from reading the description on the back, I was intrigued. I finally decided to sit down and read it this week and I was not disappointed and even better there are three more volumes after this one!

Our anti-hero for this book of weird is Jack. Jack works at a gas station on the edge of a small, weird town. He is the only full-time employee due to the fact that he has an incurable disease that keeps him awake. Literally, he cannot sleep. Part of the disease is also memory loss and hallucinations. His psychiatrist suggests he keep a journal to keep his memories straight. He decides to do a blog as well and things go crazy shortly after he begins publishing the wacky and at times dark things that happen at this remote gas station. 

Whatever is going on at the gas station, whether imagined by Jack or not, is nothing short of weird, hilarious, dark and twisted. Garden gnomes that appear out of nowhere in droves, a local death cult, a man that keeps being cloned and killed, plants that grow into human hands, crazy F.B.I. agents that may or may not be legit and rumors of a dark god lurking somewhere below the station. What exactly is going on at this gas station and is Jack really seeing all these things or are they just a product of the disease?

I really enjoyed this book. I love a good, weird story. As a huge fan of The X-Files, Fringe, and Twin Peaks, this story was just what I needed right now. I really like the main character, he's kind of a smart-ass but also endearing. I found myself laughing out loud at times and for the most part, I could not put this book down. It's a little over 300 pages but it reads fast. I have already downloaded volume 2 and I am very much looking forward to it. If you love strange and outlandish, then this is the book for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Red Hot Murder-Charlie Kingsley Mystery #6

Another extraordinary book from Michele PW! If I could give this 10 stars I would. I absolutely love the Charlie Kingsley series. The fictio...