Wednesday, October 12, 2022

The Ancient Ones

I bought this book for myself on a whim. I have read several other books published by Quill and Crow Publishing House and Cassandra Thompson, so I was fairly certain I would not be disappointed, and I certainly was not! 

The story spans a millennium and takes us to exotic places of the ancient world. Places I can only dream of visiting-Rome, gothic London, Egypt, Greece and Wallachia. Yet her descriptions are so real and in depth you will believe you are right there with the characters. A story of lovers who will always find their way back to each other, lovers who are reborn throughout time. The author also manages to blend ancient religions with vampires and Lycans seamlessly so that you are also never bored throughout the story. 

The story centers on David, a man whose life is fraught with love and war. He is in love with the Morrigan. Gods and immortals yet relatable and vulnerable characters. David is a man who stays pretty much the same since we first meet him, despite being a god, an immortal and a vampire. His love for the Morrigan is intense and something I can definitely relate to. He is the glue of the story, a common thread that connects all the characters. We cannot overlook the more sinister character, Lucius and his lust for the Morrigan and power. David and Lucius are going to have an epic showdown, the question is, who will prevail? 

All in all, I really enjoyed this story. The history, the mythos, the characters, all of it. Romance, darkness, light and friendship. The story not only spans time but also locations. Not just here on earth but also above and below. I really loved the blending of the Egyptian gods with the Celtic ones. The world building here is fantastic. It felt reminiscent of The Vampire Chronicles by Ann Rice. Honestly though, there is so much going on within this story that I cannot sum it all up here. You'll just have to grab a copy for yourself and dive in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Red Hot Murder-Charlie Kingsley Mystery #6

Another extraordinary book from Michele PW! If I could give this 10 stars I would. I absolutely love the Charlie Kingsley series. The fictio...