Monday, November 28, 2022

The Prisoner of Fear-Doyle and Braham Book One

I was contacted by the author asking if I would read and review this book. After reading the synopsis I was intrigued and agreed. I love a good period piece with mystery and horror included.

The year is 1889 and the setting is Philadelphia. John Doyle has a fear. A fear that immortal souls do not exist. He is a sort of supernatural detective, together with his friend Thomas Braham, in search of proof that the supernatural does exist. He takes on unusual cases that unfortunately usually end up being fake. 

Dr. Charles Thorton reaches out to Doyle through a letter in which he describes a dear friend, Cordelia, of his having a mysterious illness that no one, not even the best doctors, have been able to diagnose. Thorton rushes to see her in the hopes that he may be the one to help her. After arriving at her home, he discovers not the beautiful friend he once loved but a creature with no explanation as to how she became that way or how to cure her. Now, Thorton is missing, and Doyle and Braham must figure out not only where he is but what is going on with Cordelia. 

This book really surprised me. I really enjoyed it! The book is written in the form of diary entries. It's just under 200 pages but the author has packed so much into those pages, you will not be bored. The characters are relatable and even likable. They each have their own intricate backgrounds and aspirations. I really enjoyed the relationship between Doyle and Braham, sort of had a Holmes and Watson feel to it. 

The descriptions and imagery in this book are fantastic, vivid and gory and maybe even a little disturbing but in a good way so you can really get a feel for what is happening to these people. I can tell the author did quite a bit of research for the story as well.  I really enjoyed the way the book is written. The journal entries bring a personal feel to the story, and I am especially intrigued but the journal entries that are marked anonymous. The book itself ends on a cliff hanger and I cannot wait for the next book due out next year. I will definitely be checking out more from this author!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Red Hot Murder-Charlie Kingsley Mystery #6

Another extraordinary book from Michele PW! If I could give this 10 stars I would. I absolutely love the Charlie Kingsley series. The fictio...