Tuesday, January 24, 2023

If You Tell- A True Story of Murder, Family Secrets, and The Unbreakable Bond of Sisterhood

As a long-time reader of true crime, I often think I've read it all. I've read everything horrific that one person can do to another, but once again, I have been proven wrong. This book really had me shaking my head and hugging my kids. 

The book centers around three sisters, Nikki, Sami, and Tori Knotek. They were tortured by the mother, Shelly (mostly) and their father, Dave, as well, their entire lives growing up. Nikki got the majority of it; Sami was the golden child but did get some and Tori got some after her sisters left but not near as bad as her oldest sister. Her mother also tortured to death two "friends" of the family, and a nephew. 

During the course of this book, I was just in shock over the "punishments" that Shelly would put her daughters through. Things no person, let alone a child should ever have to endure. As a mother myself I cannot imagine treating my children in any way but loving and caring. I felt the author did a good job of showing just how sadistic this woman is. Even going all the way back to her early childhood where she would put crushed glass in her siblings' shoes. Who does that? She is also extremely manipulative, able to take control of two "friends" emotions and lives to the point that they died, were murdered, by her. 

Her husband was no better. Not only going along with everything she demanded but participating in the abuse himself. As well as disposing of the bodies as the murders. They both ended up in prison, but for not near long enough. Dave got just under 15 years and Shelly got 22. Her release date was 2022. I cannot believe that someone who is so sadistic, and evil will be allowed to roam our world again. Personally, I believe she should have put through the same torture she put her children and others through and then she should have been put to death. 

The only saving grace of the story is the bond the sisters maintain and the strength they have found to move on the best way they can. They could have kept the truth to themselves, but they stepped out and told the truth. To try to get some justice for Kathy, Ron and their cousin Shane. 

This book is definitely not for the faint of heart. The descriptions of the torture and punishment that Shelly put her kids and others though is sickening. To read some of it and think to yourself, she's doing this to a child, is very hard to comprehend. It also makes you think about all the kids out there who live like this every day and no one has a clue. Even though this is a graphic story, its well worth a read. Maybe someone reading it will see the warning signs in someone they know and save a life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Red Hot Murder-Charlie Kingsley Mystery #6

Another extraordinary book from Michele PW! If I could give this 10 stars I would. I absolutely love the Charlie Kingsley series. The fictio...