Tuesday, January 17, 2023

The Strange Courtship of Kathleen O'Dwyer

I should preface this review by saying that I do not normally read Westerns, so I do not have anything to compare this to in regard to other Westerns. However, the author asked me to read it and the story sounded interesting, so I gave it a read.

Kathleen O'Dwyer is heading West in 1882, having left St. Louis and a string of men who wanted to marry her. Being an independent schoolteacher, she had no need of a husband and just wanted to teach. She accepts a job in Sante Fe, in the newly formed area of New Mexico. The journey west is everything you think it would be. Its perilous and she faces many challenges in the harsh desert. Including Indian raids of their caravan. One of the men in the group is named James Colter. He saved her life from two men who were going to harm her. He got injured and she worked to help him heal and sort of felt herself maybe falling for him.

The expedition is very difficult, but she makes it to Taos Pueblo relatively unharmed. After James has healed, he disappears back into the wilderness with not so much as a goodbye. The new town brings on its own set of problems and after one incident after another, she ultimately decides to leave Taos Pueblo and head into the unknown to find James.

The story overall is action packed and rather interesting. It's always amazing to me to think about all the people who took the chance and moved West. Hardy people who wanted nothing more than to be free and have something of their own. The characters are well written, and the author does a good job of describing the scenes so it almost like your there. Even though this is my first Western, I did enjoy it and who knows, maybe Kathleen O'Dwyer will show up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Red Hot Murder-Charlie Kingsley Mystery #6

Another extraordinary book from Michele PW! If I could give this 10 stars I would. I absolutely love the Charlie Kingsley series. The fictio...