Tuesday, July 13, 2021

A Dottie Manderson Mystery: Night and Day


I received this book from Voracious Readers Only.

I was grabbed by the description of the plot. Dottie Manderson is walking home one night when she stumbles upon a man she believes to be drunk in the street only to find out he has been stabbed and is dying. She stays with him while help comes but alas he passes. She is met by a D.S. William Hardy who after some time comes to fancy her.

What happens henceforth is more of a romance novel than a detective novel which is not what I was thinking it was. Dottie is a young girl whose mother believes she should be looking to be married already. Lots of talk about eligible men and fashion. Some detecting but not what enough for me I guess. 

I also had issues with the breaks in the scenes. One moment we'd be in Dotties house and then we'd be in Detective Hardys office with just a paragraph change. I would have preferred an obvious break in the scenes. Thats just a matter of opinion though.

Not a terrible start to a mystery series, I think though that I would like more mystery and detection than who should marry who or what dress is for what occasion. That being said, I did enjoy the character of Dottie and the first book does end on a cliff hanger so of course I am now wanting to find out what happens next.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Red Hot Murder-Charlie Kingsley Mystery #6

Another extraordinary book from Michele PW! If I could give this 10 stars I would. I absolutely love the Charlie Kingsley series. The fictio...