Sunday, July 4, 2021

Homeschooling During Transition

 We are in the middle of packing to hopefully move at the end of this month. Our home has way too many repair needs and we've decided wed like to get out of Tulsa. Maybe find a little town not too far away where we can have some distance between the neighbors. 

Nearly 90% of our house is currently sitting in boxes. I packed up the school room pretty early, like in April anticipating moving in early June. Well that's not going to happen so I figured I'd look for the school books, at least the core books, so we could go ahead and start. I spent about two hours looking to no avail. I'm thinking they may have gotten taken to the storage unit and looking through it would be an all day thing so I'm going to wait until we get moved.

In the mean time I decided wed go ahead and start something. Enter, Waldock Way. I ran across her page years ago in a search at the time for Harry Potter type curriculum. She had a sale recently and I took the plunge and bought not only the Harry Potter curriculum but the Survival curriculum, and several of the
Who Was/Is unit studies. I also joined a group called Curiosity Untamed, a sort of scouts type curriculum where the kids can earn badges. 

My goal is to start July 12th and then add in math the next week. We use Teaching Textbooks and I know at least my daughter is excited to restart her math.


For our first unit study I decided on Stan Lee. We are huge Marvel/DC fans here and when I saw this I just knew we had to have it. My oldest, although graduated already, is going to partake in several of the curriculums I purchased. Hes interested in reading the Stan Lee books and helping once we start the Wizards and Wands curriculum in December. He himself being a huge Harry Potter fan.


For our second unit study, I chose Edgar Allan Poe. I am a lifelong reader of his stories, my favorites being Cask of Amontillado, Tell Tale Heart and Fall of the House of Usher, I know all the cliché popular ones. That being said, the kids are excited to learn about him and Im happy to expose them to more of the classics.


All in all, despite not having their core curriculum, I am fired up to start some new things and have a routine back again. As much as I love summer and the warm, lazy days it brings, I am ready to get back into a regular schedule. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Red Hot Murder-Charlie Kingsley Mystery #6

Another extraordinary book from Michele PW! If I could give this 10 stars I would. I absolutely love the Charlie Kingsley series. The fictio...