Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Under Glass and Stone: The Complete Gothic Mystery Set



I had no idea what to expect when I was offered this book. It sounded interesting enough. Evelyn lives across the street from a huge, looming house which she has an inexplicable connection to. There is so much to unpack in this book: a missing school friend, a missing uncle, rumors of ghosts and missing kids inside walls as well as a labyrinth of hidden tunnels that span the town of Castle Heights.

The story take place in the present (or at least I think it does) but there are also letters written in the late 1800's early 1900's that make the story that much richer. As I have always been fascinated with that time period, I loved reading these letters for a glimpse into the past. They also provide clues to what Evelyn is determined to uncover.

Again, I did not realize I was reading a young adult story but I absolutely loved it. The way Evelyn spoke about her love Alex reminded me all to well of how I felt of my boyfriend (now husband) when I was 17. This is classified as young adult gothic horror. I dont normally read gothic horror but I really loved this story.

The pacing of this book is wonderful. The imagery was so vivid it was like watching a movie play out in my mind. I read this in two days and could not put it down.

I highly recommend this book and will absolutely be looking for more from this author.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Red Hot Murder-Charlie Kingsley Mystery #6

Another extraordinary book from Michele PW! If I could give this 10 stars I would. I absolutely love the Charlie Kingsley series. The fictio...