Monday, January 17, 2022

The Beyond by Ken Brosky


If you are a fan of Stephen King or Lovecraft type writing, then this is the story for you. The story description grabbed me, and I was not disappointed. 

Moon Song is concerned that she hasn't heard from her brother, Hye, in a few weeks. They are very close and it's not like him to not return her calls. Hye moved awhile back to the town of Blackrock Pennsylvania to work at the local coal mine. A recovering addict, he needed the stable work and to get away from any temptations. 

Moon hires Ben Sawyer, a local PI, to help her find him. They travel together to Blackrock and immediately sense that the town is off. There is no sign of her brother. A local professor, Saladin, tracks Ben down and starts to tell him about what is going on in the town. The townspeople aren't who, or what, he thinks they are. Something has happened in the coal mine. 

There are many twists and turns in this macabre story. Given what's going on in the town, you don't know who to trust which adds a level of horror in and of itself. I really liked the relationship between Ben and Moon. The relationship is believable and consistent throughout. The addition of the Professor is interesting, and I felt all the characters were well rounded. 

The story itself is a complex but in a way that makes sense. I wasn't sure how well it was going to wrapped up in the end, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that it was. The descriptions are vivid and at times intense. I love a good horror story especially one set in a small town. I recieved this book free from Booksirens for an honest review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Red Hot Murder-Charlie Kingsley Mystery #6

Another extraordinary book from Michele PW! If I could give this 10 stars I would. I absolutely love the Charlie Kingsley series. The fictio...