Wednesday, April 13, 2022

My Friend Dahmer


As a huge true crime fan, when I saw this graphic novel, I knew it was one I had to have. I sat down today and read it in just under an hour. A fascinating topic and it was turned into a movie which I also saw. 

To have the viewpoint of someone who not only attended school with a serial killer, but also considered a friend for a time, is something we don't often see. To think that for years you see someone day in and day out, then one day you hear the unthinkable, they have killed someone and not just killed one but many. It's got to be one of those things you never stop thinking about.

The novel is written and drawn by someone who spent a great deal of time with Dahmer at school. Noting that they didn't spend much time outside of school together because he just felt something was off about him.

In the beginning of the book the author talks about the fact that Dahmer was basically invisible. Invisible from his parents, teachers and any other adults that he came into contact with. You have to remember the time that this novel is set, the 1970's. A very different time. A time when you didn't rat out a friend or butt in where you shouldn't. The author took a lot of time to research and interview those that were around during that time. Firsthand accounts really make the story. 

All in all, I really enjoyed this graphic novel. I don't normally read graphic novels, but in this case, I felt the medium was perfect for how Backderf relays his story. If you are a fan of true crime and or graphic novels, then check this one out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Red Hot Murder-Charlie Kingsley Mystery #6

Another extraordinary book from Michele PW! If I could give this 10 stars I would. I absolutely love the Charlie Kingsley series. The fictio...